Student Grievance Policy
Baruch College maintains a commitment to providing students with a professional and equitable learning environment. Should a student experience faculty/staff behavior that they believe to be unfair, unjust, incompetent or inappropriate, students are able to file a formal complaint through the Office of the Dean of Students, located in the Newman Vertical Campus, room 3-175.
The Office of the Dean of Students will assist students in ensuring their complaint is heard by the appropriate office. Complaints may be redirected to a more appropriate office such as Student Disability Services, Chief Diversity Officer/Title IX Coordinator or the academic Department Chair (etc.) depending upon the nature of the grievance. For more information on the procedure for handling student complaints about faculty conduct in academic settings, please visit the relevant page of the Faculty Handbook.
In addition, students who wish to file a complaint against the College may do so by contacting the NY State Department of Education. Students are encouraged to first resolve the complaint directly with the College before contacting the NY State Department of Education. For more information about filing a complaint with the captioned department, please contact:
City University of New York
Office of the General Counsel
205 East 42nd Street, 11th floor
New York, NY 10017
Students can receive assistance regarding a complaint/grievance from the following offices:
- Office of Dean of Students
- Academic Department Chair
- Public Safety
- Chief Diversity Officer/Title IX Coordinator
- Ombuds Office
Students are encouraged to utilize informal resolution to their issue by working directly with the faculty or staff member and/or their supervisor. Formal complaints are subject to the following procedure:
- Students complete the student grievance online form using the “Student Grievance” button and providing as much detail and documentation possible of the incident in question.
- A member of the Office of the Dean of Students will follow up with the student reporting the grievance to discuss the issue and serve as a resource for determining if the grievance should be directed to another office (Academic Department Chair, Chief Diversity Officer/Title IX Coordinator, Student Disability Services, etc.).
- When appropriate, the Office of the Dean of Students will serve to connect the student to the recommended office/staff person to address the stated concern.
- The record of the complaint and any actions and/or resolutions will be housed in the Office of the Dean of Students.