Peers for Careers
- To provide assistance to members of the Baruch Community relating to career exploration and planning
- To assist the staff of the SCDC with office productivity and activities to enhance the services to the Baruch community
- To enhance the career and professional development of all participants in Peers for Careers Program
Peers for Careers is a two-tiered leadership program that prepares students for progressively more advanced leadership roles within the Starr Career Development Center (SCDC), Baruch and their professional lives.
After extensive training and a rigorous selection process, Peers are invited to serve as paraprofessional career coaches to students via walk-in and scheduled appointments. Peers contribute to the weekly SCDC page for the student newspaper, the Ticker. Peers also host the Annual Suit Up for Success clothing sale to help students acquire appropriate work wardrobes inexpensively while raising money for Relay for Life. In addition, they facilitate numerous workshops, co-sponsor career programs, and represent the Center at College events.
Starrlights is an award winning blog powered by the Peers for Careers and is designed to provide a student perspective on some of the common career successes and challenges among Baruch students and alumni. This blog taps into Peers’ experiences as they help fellow students with their careers, while embarking on their own career journeys. Starrlights also aims to provide useful career tips and reminders as well as to expand students’ awareness of the Starr Career Development Center resources, in general. Starrlights was awarded the First Place Alva C. Cooper Award for Best Practices in Career Development from the Metropolitan New York College Career Planning Officers Association in May 2013.
- Gain critical knowledge to help you and your peers in choosing a major
- Learn essential skills to succeed in launching your career
- Build excellent communication and interpersonal skills through group presentations, workshops, and one-on-one resume reviews and mock interviews
- Get access to hundreds of internships and jobs
- Network with employers at many SCDC events
- Serve as student liaison to employers at SCDC Career Days and Internship Fairs
- Receive mentorship from professional career counselors
- Be a role model for your peers and learn from the career experiences of your fellow students
- Enjoy the feeling of truly making a difference in the lives of others
- Develop your own highly effective resume and polish your interviewing skills