I’ve Been Scammed
Sometimes it’s not easy to avoid online scams. If you think you have been scammed or think you have discovered a fraudulent job or other scam follow the tips below.
- Call your financial company immediately and put a hold on your cards and account.
- Place a freeze on your credit report. You can do so by contacting the 3 major credit reporting companies: Equifax, Experian, Trans Union.
- Save all correspondence with the potential scammer and any other proof like receipts, bank account information, etc.
- Report the scam to the Internet Crime Complaint Center.
- Report the scam to the FTC.
- File a complaint with the BBB. The institution does not need to be registered for you to file a complaint.
- Contact your local police department. They may be able to help or simply warn others of the same scam.
- Contact the site/job board where the scam originated or use the methods they may have in place to report the fraudulent job posting.
- If the scam involved a website attempting to extract personal information, report it to Google.
Baruch College/CUNY Related Scams
- If the scam originated from a Baruch/CUNY email account, student, staff or site, email all appropriate information to the Baruch Helpdesk (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- If you believe the scam originated from Starr Search contact the Starr Career Development Center .